Wednesday, November 6, 2013


Fix number 1:  Don’t include student behaviors (effort, participation, adherence to rules, etc.) in grades; include only achievement.

 

I think I could comment on each of the first few fixes we have discussed, but I feel most strongly about the need for us to consider ways to separate grades from behaviors.   To start off, I believe that effort should be reported and that it should be reported as a separate entry.  I also recognize the complexity of this task and can acknowledge that our students’ “effort” and “adherence to rules” should be measured / reported, but I am not so sure it should intentionally be part of or be calculated into the academic grade.  If that is a bit confusing, I want you to consider the following:  Student A turns his / her paper in late and receives a five point reduction.  Let’s also assume that the assignment is worth 10 points and it is done correctly.  Consequently, the resulting score for the student’s math assignment is now graded at 5/10 instead of a 10/10.  While this may be traditional practice and it may be intended to teach accountability and responsibility, it does not give clear feedback to the student on what level of academic mastery that student has been attained on that particular skill.  What is also interesting to me is that I can remember having several of these same discussions with a former colleague/mentor that I worked with some ten plus years ago.  The two of us engaged in many conversations (sometimes heated / heartfelt exchanges) about teaching and the educational profession.  One particular point that we did not agree on was deducting points for late assignment.  I was sure that it was a benefit to tie late points, bonus points, etc. into the grading equation because it would teach students about timeliness and it would be a way to reward those that went above and beyond.  His position was that we should always avoid punishing and rewarding students with grades.  At the time, I thought his philosophy was just too far “out there” and that it was too radical of a practice.  Oh, how I would like to revisit these issues with this particular teacher and I am quite certain he would relish in knowing that I have changed several of my views.

No comments:

Post a Comment